Herbal Remedies for Bladder Health & Incontinence
Herbs have long been used as botanical medicine. Herbal remedies have been popular throughout Europe and Asia. Here in Canada, there has been growing interest in natural supplements that may help overactive bladder, urinary tract infections (UTI) and urinary leakage. If you decide to try supplements, read labels carefully, take as recommended, and always consult with your healthcare professional before taking any supplements. Here are some of the better-known bladder-friendly herbal remedies that may help.
Herbal Remedies for Bladder Infection
- Bromelain is an enzyme found in the pineapple plant (Ananas comosus). It is revered for its anti-inflammatory abilities. And since urine leakage is often related to bladder inflammation, proponents say Bromelain may have a positive effect on the inflammation.
- Cleavers (Galium aparine) is a wildflower with small hooks on its stems, leaves and seeds that attach to anything that comes in contact with the plant. It can have a diuretic effect that may also reduce bladder inflammation and protect the bladder wall against irritation.
Herbal Remedies for Bladder Inflammation
Herbal Remedy for Overactive Bladder
- Pumpkin seed (Cucurbita pepo) has been the subject of significant clinical investigation for the treatment of urinary incontinence and is considered the natural “treatment of choice” for overactive bladder. The research points to the seed’s fatty acids and phytosterol compounds that help maintain hormonal balance and support healthy bladder strength.
Herbal Remedies for Urinary Tract Infection
- Buchu (Barosma betulina) is a South American herb prescribed by herbalists to treat recurring urinary tract infections and support overall bladder health. Buchu is a soothing diuretic that also has mild antiseptic properties. Known to have an antibacterial effect, Buchu may also help with prevent bladder inflammation.
- Cornsilk (Zea Mays) is hair-like thread found atop ears of corn and beneath cornhusks. High in flavonoids, it can be an effective solution for women who get frequent urinary infections. Cornsilk reduces inflammation and can reduce the accompanying urge to urinate. It can also have a soothing effect on the urinary tract.